President Donald Trump’s administration has issued a memo to temporarily pause federal financial-assistance programs including grants and loans starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
Eric Mansfield, assistant vice president of University Communications and Marketing, said in an email that the university has received the memo but is still waiting for guidance from funding agencies.
According to Mansfield, federal grants for the university reached $22.6 million, and $15.4 million of that sum was for research.
If the grant funding is eliminated, there would be a “dramatic financial impact,” Mansfield said. But this is not limited to students. Faculty grants will also be reviewed.
“In effect, we spend in good faith that we will be reimbursed,” Mansfield explained. “If those reimbursements are not processed that would have large financial implications.”
The memo, released by Matthew Vaeth, acting director at the federal Office of Management and Budget, implies that financial assistance has been allocated inappropriately and has been a “waste of taxpayer dollars.”
The Trump Administration instead intends to dedicate financial assistance to their own priorities, which include ending “wokeness,” eliminating inflation, creating American energy and “Making America Healthy Again.”
Early last week, after his inauguration, Trump signed several executive orders which reflect his ideas for advancing the U.S.
To begin implementing these orders, the administration will require federal agencies to review financial assistance programs and other forms of federal support to ensure they are consistent with the president’s new policies.
The order does explicitly clarify that some services, like Medicare and Social Security benefits, are not to be revoked or included in the pause.
The pause is temporary, and will end on Feb. 10. During this period, agencies will be reviewed by Trump’s administration and are barred from issuing new awards and distributing funds to current awards.
Some federal funding, like FAFSA grants that provide aid to minorities, may be at risk because it could be considered “diversity, equity and inclusion” funding which, due to an executive order, is coming to an end.
Many students in the country use these grants to help pay for their education. And although it’s unclear at this time, Trump’s order has the potential to impact a wide variety of students at Kent State and at other universities across the U.S.
Karmyn Allen, freshman psychology student, receives aid through a federal grant.
“I think it’s incredibly selfish,” Allen said. “I think he [Trump] is trying to keep his audience in schools limited to just white people.”
Pell Grants, which Allen received at the beginning of the year, are not automatically going to be revoked due to the new policy. However, Trump’s administration will be reviewing the programs to clarify if they promote or favor diverse “gender ideology” or support “illegal aliens.”
“If they get rid of the Pell Grant, I’m considering dropping out,” Allen said.
This is a developing story.
Ari Collins is a beat reporter. Contact her at [email protected].